Flapjacks are a great energy-packed snack for a lunch box or picnic. Here’s an easy recipe for a soft and chewy flapjack. For crunchier flapjacks, leave in the oven for another 5-10 minutes. Try adding chopped dried apricots, cranberries or sultanas to the recipe for a yummy variation.
You will need:
- 125g butter
- 100g soft dark brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons golden syrup
- 250g oats (we used a 50:50 mixture of jumbo rolled oats and finer quick oats)
How to make flapjacks:
- Mix the butter, sugar and golden syrup over a gentle heat until the butter is melted.
- Stir in the oats and mix well.
- Rub a little butter over a baking tin with kitchen paper and then press the flapjack mix down into the tin.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes (longer for crunchier flapjacks).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes then score cuts into the warm flapjack with a sharp knife.
- Once completely cool, remove the flapjacks from the baking tin.
- Store in an airtight container.