These tasty little tarts go down well with all the family. You could make one big one or it’s just as easy to make individual ones which feel a little more special. Essentially, they are a cheese and ham tart but the layered Emmental and pancetta with the crispy filo pastry makes them feel a little more unusual.
This recipe is enough to make 4 individual muffin sized tarts or one medium open filo pie. The recipe can easily double up or divide in half depending on how many people you want to serve.
You Will Need:
- filo pastry sheets
- 1 medium sized onion
- melted butter
- 70g Emmental cheese
- 4 slices Pancetta (alternatively you could use regular ham)
How to make Posh Cheese & Ham Tarts:
- Preheat oven to 170c fan.
- If you’re making individual portions then use a muffin tin, if it’s one large tart then a circular baking tin will work well.
- You will need four pieces of filo pastry per tart, each larger than the muffin tin or baking tin that you’re using.
- Brush melted butter over each sheet and then push into the tin, with four layers in total. Place in the oven and bake for around 6 minutes until starting to go golden.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and fry in a little melted butter, then set aside to cook.
- Grate the Emmental and then mix with the onion.
- Next you just need to layer the fillings. Keep the filo inside the baking tin and place a little of the cheese and onion mix in first. Follow up with a layer of pancetta, a little more cheese, another layer of pancetta and finally finish off with cheese.
- Place back in the oven and cook for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Full of flavour without putting the kids off, these posh cheese and ham tarts are a winner.