Recycle cardboard toilet roll tubes to create some easy seed plugs. Children can watch the seedlings grow before planting out. We planted peas in our recycled pots. When the peas grow, my children love to pick the pea pods, pop them open and eat the raw peas straight from the garden.
You will need:
- Toilet roll tubes
How to make the toilet roll seed plugs:
- Cut the toilet roll tubes in half and stack them into a tray.
- Fill with compost.
- Pop a pea seed into each tube a few centimetres deep.
- Water well and give them a little water every day.
- After a few weeks, you should see a green seedling emerge and see white roots starting to poke out at the bottom.
- Plant these in the garden (you can plant the tube with the seedling inside directly into the soil). Give the seedlings some twiggy sticks to climb up or plant them against some fine netting.
- Enjoy your peas