Cogges Manor Farm in Witney makes a lovely day out with the kids with a great variety of things to do. In their warm and welcoming kitchen, their volunteers often run cooking demonstrations. My kids had fun making Welsh Cakes on our most recent visit.
What You Will Need:
- 8oz/200g SR flour
- 4oz/100g butter
- 2oz/50g brown sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3oz/85g mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg
- Cinnamon to sprinkle
How To Make Welsh Cakes
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mixing to form a stiff dough.
- Flour your work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out the mixture to about 1/2 cm thickness.
- Cut out with a biscuit cutter.
- Cook on a hot griddle, turning once (you don’t need a traditional range like this one at Cogges)!
- Once cooked, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.