What's on in the UK
- This event has passed.
Science of Magic Family Open Day
Celebrate 30 years of science magic as Science Oxford mark the anniversary of their first-ever science centre, CuriOXity, which we opened in the Old Fire Station in George Street in 1990. Today we’ll be celebrating the occasion in our Science Oxford Centre in Headington!
Throughout the day we will be performing our very first, and still most popular, ‘Science of Magic’ show in our theatre, and you can see displays based on staff and public memories of CuriOXity for families to enjoy.
Visitors can play and explore in our Exploration Zone and try and beat the super-fast Scarf-Shooter, have a blast on the Air Table, or take our Turntable challenge and keep the discs spinning.
Get up close to nature and see bugs and plants under a microscope, then take a breath of fresh air and find out what wildlife lives in the surrounding woodland. Just ask one of our team for a trail-sheet to get started.
Your ticket includes two hours in the Exploration Zone and access to woodland all day. The morning session is from 10am to midday and the afternoon sessions are from 12.45pm to 2.45pm and 3.30pm-5.30pm.
The Science of Magic show is included in the entry price and optional. Families will be seated in the theatre in their bubbles by a staff member. There is no admission once it has started.
Science of Magic show times for each session are as follows:
Morning session: 11:30am – 12:00pm
Afternoon session: 2:15pm – 2:45pm
Afternoon session: 3:30pm – 4pm
Did you visit the centre? Share your CuriOXity memories with us on facebook, Instagram or twitter and tag @scienceoxford using the hashtag #30YearsofCuriOXity.
The health and well-being of our visitors and staff is our highest priority. Following Government recommendations to minimise the risk of person-to-person transmission of Coronavirus (COVID-19) here are some steps we are taking to keep you safe:
• All tickets must be booked in advance.
• There’s car parking and bike racks available for all visitors.
• We will be operating at a reduced capacity with only 38 visitors per session.
• All visitors must sanitize their hands upon entering and exiting the Science Oxford Centre.
• Exhibits in the Exploration Zone have been widely spaced to allow social distancing.
• Our staff will wear visors in the centre.
• Face coverings are required inside the centre (age 11+).
• We will clean everything regularly and thoroughly during and between sessions.
• Full contact details of those booking a ticket are required to comply with test and trace.
• The café is closed until further notice but you are welcome to bring packed lunches and refreshments on site. We have outdoor tables available for public use.
• If you are showing symptoms of Covid-19 or are in a vulnerable group, please stay at home – you can transfer your ticket to another day.
For more details about the Science Oxford Centre and what we are doing to keep you safe, please call us on 01865 810 000, firstname.lastname@example.org or see Science Oxford Centre visitor information.
Prices: £6 per person or £20 for a family ticket(4 people, must include 1 adult) under 3s free.
Before your visit you’ll receive an email with helpful information about how to have a safe and enjoyable day out at the Science Oxford Centre.