What’s On In Oxfordshire & Berkshire
Where to see the Christmas Lights Switch On in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire 2019
2 November - 24 DecemberFree
Towards the end of November, as the nights are drawing in and there’s a chill in the air, local cities, towns and villages have their Christmas Lights Switch On. The festivities are often combined with other entertainment from Christmas markets to carol singers and sometimes even Father Christmas will make an appearance.
Wrap up warm and venture out to get into the Christmas spirit.
Fairytale Farm will be open all day as normal, but when daylight fades the entire Enchanted Walk will become a magical wonderland of fairy lights, which will delight children and adults. The Mermaid Garden, Giant’s Camera, The Extinct Band, Giant Party Poppers, and Light Fountains will be a blaze of colour and the Dancing Water Fountains will be illuminated. Snow White’s Castle and the Seven Dwarfs’ house will also be illuminated and will look spectacular. Running weekends until 24th November and then throughout the Christmas at Fairytale Farm experience.
Here’s the Red Kite Days’ roundup of Christmas Lights Switch on events in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire for 2019. Click on the links for full details and dates. If you’re running an event that’s not included, just let us know and we’ll add it the list.
Christmas Lights Switch On in Oxfordshire 2019
- Abingdon – a Christmas extravaganza running all day parades, a rock choir, fireworks and much more. 30/11
- Banbury – Lighting up and going out with a bang. A festive family focused event in the heart of the town where the community come together as one. Live stage music, song & dance marquee, market, fairground, children’s activities and of course Santa in his grotto. 24/11
- Bicester – market stalls and entertainment along with the lights switch on. 30/11
- Burford – There will be a Santa’s Grotto, Family Entertainment, Food and Drink, Carol Singing and Christmas Shopping. 30/11
- Carterton Christmas lights switch on & lantern parade 22/11
- Didcot – Christmas street fair all the fun of the fair, with side shows, rides, parades and food stalls, the Didcot Christmas Street Fair is an entertaining evening for all. 28/11
- Evesham – The Valley shopping centre Christmas lights switch on 28/11
- Faringdon – Father Christmas in his grotto, Thomas the Tank Engine, Wantage Silver Band, street entertainers, Fairground all rides £1, Punch & Judy, craft stalls, Christmas Fayre in the Corn Exchange 30/11
- Henley – The Henley Christmas Festival 2019 will have Christmas attractions for a magical evening. A chance to do some Christmas shopping, as well as sample the delights of mulled wine, mince pies, street food, arts and crafts and so much more. 29/11
- Kidlington – a fun evening of entertainment 28/11
- Morton in Marsh – Christmas market, Father Christmas in his grotto, lights switch on and carol service. 30/11
- Oxford – Christmas Lights Festival – The festival takes place over 3 days and includes light and sound installations, a festive market, music, dance and lots of free activities in venues across the city. 15/11 – 17/11
- Thame – annual Christmas community event with everything from Santa’s grotto to reindeer and a lantern parade. 06/12
- Weston on the Green – village Christmas tree lights switch on and raffle 01/12
- Witney – the Christmas lights switch on will take place in Witney Marketplace 29/11
- Woodstock – a Night of a Thousand Candles and the Woodstock Festive Fayre 30/11
- Wantage – Dress up in period costume, enjoy Christmas attractions and start your holiday shopping. It is the night to celebrate the best of Wantage! 6/11
Christmas Lights Switch On in Berkshire 2019
- Datchet – Christmas tree lighting celebration. 07/12
- Eton – Community Carol service at Eton College Chapel (6pm), followed by a parade through Eton High Street to the Jubilee Square where the lights for Eton will be switched on (7pm). There will be community stalls, live music, Santa’s Grotto and live reindeer. 14/11
- Maidenhead – entertainment, funfair and spectacular fireworks display. 23/11
- Maidenhead – The community lantern parade is an annual event produced by Norden Farm, which brings the local community together in celebration to light up the town. 07/12
- Newbury – here’s lots going on in Newbury Town Centre for the Christmas lights switch on this year. 17/11
- Reading – 16/11
- Slough – Festive fun weekend on 14th and 15th December
- Sunningdale – There will also be a Santa’s grotto, mulled wine, biscuit decorating, face painting, local choirs and more. 29/11
- Thatcham – the evening will start at 5pm with 25 charity stalls offering a selection of games and competitions plus there will be a treasure hunt around town centre businesses. 06/12
- Windsor – children’s lantern parade, entertainment and Christmas lights switch on. 16/11
Christmas Lights Switch On in Buckinghamshire
Amersham – There will be lots of wonderful attractions on offer from 12:00 noon including Children’s Funfair, Santa’s Grotto, Live Entertainment, Christmas Market in St. Michael and All Angels Church and the fantastic Christmas Tree light switch 7/01
Aylesbury – The lights will be switched on at 7 pm and will be followed by a spectacular fireworks display. With a host of live performances, special guest appearances from the panto at Aylesbury Waterside Theatre 14/11
Buckingham – This year it is taking place on 30th November from 6:30pm to 8:30pmtree. 30/11
Beaconsfield – festival of light 11/12
Chalfont St Giles – lights switch on and festival market 30/11
Chesham – stalls, fairground rides, Father Christmas and a musical procession 29/11
Gerrards Cross – Christmas festival and lights switch on 4/12
High Wycombe – The all-day event, which officially kicks off at midday in High Wycombe town centre, will feature a host of festive family fun – including delicious food stalls, a spectacular street parade, children’s entertainment and a Christmas craft market. 21/11
Marlow – This festive event sees the Marlow Christmas lights illuminated whilst shops open late with special promotions, offers and Christmas displays throughout the town. 21/11
Milton Keynes – 16/11
Princes Risborough – a festive & fun afternoon for all the family. The Ice Rink will be back, plus a Christmas themed photo-booth, Father Christmas will of course be in his Grotto, be entertained by walkabout acts, see some very sweet Christmas ponies, grab some food & drink from our carefully selected vendors, & then join the local Panto Stars & Mayor at the main stage around 5pm for the official light switch-on. 30/11
Stony Stratford – funfair, lantern procession and of course the Christmas lights switch on. 30/12
Illumination Christmas Lights 2019
There are also a few places having illumination events running over a longer time period. Just click on the links below to find out more.
Fairytale Farm – Don’t miss Fairytale Farm’s Illuminated Evenings on Saturdays and Sundays from 12th October to 24th November and then every day of their Christmas Fairytale event in December. The park will be open all day as normal, but when daylight fades the entire Enchanted Walk will become a magical wonderland of fairy lights, which will delight children and adults. The Mermaid Garden, Giant’s Camera, The Extinct Band, Giant Party Poppers, and Light Fountains will be a blaze of colour and the Dancing Water Fountains will be illuminated. Snow White’s Castle and the Seven Dwarfs’ house will also be illuminated and will look spectacular.
Blenheim Palace – The Blenheim Palace illuminations were stunning last year. This year, the towering Tunnel of Light will once again twinkle with over 100,000 pea-lights, while the woodland Laser Garden and the scented Fire Garden all return. The Water Terrace light finale dances across the historic façade to much-loved Christmas classics.
Waddesdon Manor – From dusk, the grounds at Waddesdon Manor will come to life with a light trail around the Aviary that playfully combines colour, sound and movement. The Manor’s facade will also be bathed in light with two unique shows.
Fancy going a bit further afield? Last year the Christmas lights switch on in Birmingham coincided with the start of the German Market