What's On In Oxfordshire & Berkshire
Where to see the Christmas Lights Switch On in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire 2018
24 November - 17 DecemberFree
Towards the end of November, as the nights are drawing in and there’s a chill in the air, local cities, towns and villages have their Christmas Lights Switch On. The festivities are often combined with other entertainment from Christmas markets to carol singers and sometimes even Father Christmas will make an appearance.
Wrap up warm and venture out to get into the Christmas spirit.
Here’s our roundup of Christmas Lights Switch on events in Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire for 2018. Click on the links for full details and dates. If you’re running an event that’s not included, just let us know and we’ll add it the list.
Christmas Lights Switch On in Oxfordshire
- Abingdon – a Christmas extravaganza running all day parades, a rock choir, fireworks and much more. 01/12
- Banbury – live music along with dance. choir & pantomime performances. Visit Father Christmas in his grotto as you wander around the Christmas market, accompanied by festive food and drink.
- Bicester – market stalls and entertainment along with the lights switch on. 01/12
- Didcot – Christmas street fair all the fun of the fair, with side shows, rides, parades and food stalls, the Didcot Christmas Street Fair is an entertaining evening for all. 29/11
- Kidlington – a fun evening of entertainment 29/11
- Morton in Marsh – Christmas market, Father Christmas in his grotto, lights switch on and carol service. 24/11
- Oxford – Christmas Lights Festival – The festival takes place over 3 days and includes light and sound installations, a festive market, music, dance and lots of free activities in venues across the city. 16/11 – 18/11
- Thame – annual Christmas community event with everything from Santa’s grotto to reindeer and a lantern parade. 30/11
- Witney – the Christmas lights switch on will take place in Witney Marketplace 30/11
- Woodstock – tbc
- Wantage – tbc
Christmas Lights Switch On in Berkshire
- Maidenhead – throughout the day in Maidenhead there will be a Christmas Market with a fabulous selection of stalls and street food as well as children’s funfair rides. After the lights go on there’s a spectacular fireworks display from the roof of the Town Hall. 24/11
- Maidenhead – The Norden Farm annual community lantern festival – This year, amongst the beautiful parade, celebrations include live music and
entertainment, street food, a licensed bar and hot drinks. 08/12
- Slough – fireworks, music and Christmas lights switch on 17/11
- Thatcham – there will be donkeys, donuts, and Santa 01/12
- Newbury – Christmas lights switch on and Santa parade – tbc
- Eton – tbc
- Datchet – tbc
- Hungerford – tbc
- Sunningdale – the annual Christmas celebrations -tbc
- Reading – tbc
Illumination Christmas Lights 2018
There are also a few places having illumination events running over a longer time period. Just click on the links below to find out more.
- Blenheim Palace – The Blenheim Palace winter trail will be brighter than ever before with lasers, projections, and thousands of pea-lights. From the delicate and twinkling to the grand and spectacular, the Formal Gardens will light up once again for a festive journey of exploration and wonder.
- Waddesdon Manor – decorated rooms, 3D light projections and aviary garden light trail.
- Fairytale Farm – running on Saturdays and Sundays from 13th October, the Mermaid Garden, Giant’s Camera, The Extinct Band, Giant Party Poppers, and Light Fountains will be a blaze of colour and the Dancing Water Fountains will be illuminated. They also have new and updated features that were not part of last year’s line-up.
Christmas Lights Switch On in Buckinghamshire
Aylesbury – There will also be a host of live acts performing throughout the event including the cast from this year’s panto – Holly Atterton and Andy Collins. 15/11
Buckingham – This year it is taking place on the last Sunday in November. People gather outside the Old Gaol to see the Mayor switch on the lights and to sing carols round the tree. 01/12
Chalfont St Giles
Marlow – This festive event sees the Marlow Christmas lights illuminated whilst shops open late with special promotions, offers and Christmas displays throughout the town. 22/11
Stony Stratford – funfair, lantern procession and of course the Christmas lights switch on. 01/12
Fancy going a bit further afield? The Christmas lights switch on in Birmingham coincides with the start of the German Market on Thursday 15th November.