Tie dying is lots of fun. It’s a bit addictive and you can dye anything made of pale-coloured cotton – try pillow cases, T-Shirts or plain cotton tea towels. Here’s how to make a tie dye bag. It makes a fun homemade Christmas gift. You could also make a unique drawstring PE bag this way.
You will need:
- Plain cotton shopper bag (try Ebay for low cost bags supplies)
- Packet of fabric dye
- Salt if needed (see dye instructions)
- Elastic bands
How to make the tie dye bag
- Pinch and scrunch sections of the bag and fix tightly with elastic bands. The dye does not soak in to the cotton where the elastic bands are tightly touching the bag. To create concentric circles we made the bag into a sausage shape and fixed elastic bands along the ‘sausage’.
- Make up the fabric dye according to the pack instructions.
- Soak your tied up bag in the dye. We left ours in for about an hour.
- Take the dyed bag out and leave to dry on newspaper.
- When dry, carefully remove the elastic bands and open out the bag. Give it a good iron to get all the crinkles out.