Forget expensive takeaways and make your own Sweet & Sour Chicken. Thank you to Dawn who’s shared this great sweet and sour chicken recipe.
Hi, my name is Dawn! I was born and raised in Hong Kong and moved to the UK when I was 16. With my parents being thousands of miles away, nice home-cooked Chinese food became very rarely available to me. This is what prompted me to get into cooking. I first learnt how to cook properly when I was at uni, through watching lots of YouTube videos and reading online recipes. During the first lockdown I decided to open an Instagram account @dawnscookingdiary to share my love for Chinese food and occasionally share some recipes. Feel free to go check it out for some food inspirations!
- 400g chicken thighs, chopped into 1inch pieces
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Groundnut oil/Vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Water
For the marinate:
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/8 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Sauce:
- 120ml Hot water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3 tbsps rice wine vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
How to Make Sweet & Sour Chicken:
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients listed above.
- While the chicken is marinating, mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl
- Heat the wok with oil and add the chicken. Stir fry for 2mins or until golden brown.
- Add the onions and peppers, stir fry until soft.
- Add in the sauce and stir. Mix to cornstarch and water together and pour it in to thicken the sauce.
- Turn down the heat and give the sauce a quick taste – now is the time to add more salt, vinegar or sugar if desired.
- Serve with some light fluffy jasmine rice!