Want to know how to make a race car from a cardboard box? Here’s a step by step tutorial to make a cardboard box race car. Photo Credits to Krista Jewitt
Cardboard box cars are a great addition to a 3rd of 4th birthday party with a car theme. You could put the main frame of the car together a few days ahead of time and then the kids get decorate their own car at the party. Once the cardboard box race cars are ready you can set up a race.
What You Will Need
- Cardboard box
- Paint and a wide brush
- Small black paper plates
- Very small screwdriver
- Push pins
- Small round stickers
- Packing tape
- Flagging tape or ribbon
- Stickers, felt pens, crayons, coloured tape, anything for decorating
How to Make Cardboard Box Race Cars
- Lay your box on the floor and paint the entire outside of the box in your favourite colour then leave to dry.
- To make tires, grab a small black paper plate and put a sticker in the middle.
- Use a very small screwdriver to punch a hole in the centre of the sticker.
- Line up the tire and then punch a hole through the box with the screwdriver.
- Insert a push pin through the hole and fasten it on the inside of the car. Create 4 tires.
- Turn your car upside down and fold all 4 of the bottom leaves up into the box.
- Then fold down the 2 long top leaves of the box.
- Tape the leaves in place
- Fold one of the short top leaves in half for the windshield, so that the end sticks up. This is the front of the car.
- Leave the other short top leaf as is. It becomes the spoiler for the back of the car.
- Make a hole on each side of the windshield and a hole on each side of the spoiler and attach some ribbon or flagging tape. These will be the shoulder straps.
- Decorate your creation and have fun racing!!
For party favours and car themed party food, try making Mars Bar Race Cars, which go perfectly with the kids party car theme of the day.