You need to do the preparation in advance for this activity, but once ready, it’s great cool, sensory fun for a hot day.
You Will Need:
- A tub (an empty ice cream tub is ideal)
- Small toy dinosaurs
- Food colouring (optional)
- Toy hammer or something similar to hit the ice with
How To Make the Dinosaur Ice Excavation:
- Half fill the tub with water and a little food colouring.
- Pop in the dinosaurs and then freeze. If you put all the water in at once, the dinosaurs float to the top.
- Once frozen, top up with water and freeze again.
- Remove the ice block from the tub and have fun hacking away at the ice to expose the dinosaurs.
My kids enjoyed playing with the ice after they had removed the dinosaurs just as much as the excavation. Even the youngest Red Kite Days kiddie had some sensory fun picking up ice.