This craft activity makes a hedgehog felt tip pen holder out of clay. It’s perfect for younger kids who forget to put the lids back on the pens. It also helps children to see all of the colours and select the one they want to use.
You will need:
- Air drying clay
- Pack of felt tip pens
- Buttons or beads for eyes
- Piece of felt or thick material and PVA glue
How to make the hedgehog pen holder:
- Roll the clay into a ball and flatten one side down.
- Push in two buttons for eyes.
- Stick the pen lids (with pens still attached) into the clay like hedgehog spikes. Push the lids in until they are almost level with the surface of the clay.
- Allow the clay to dry for several days. When dry, cut a piece of felt or thick material about the same size as the bottom of the hedgehog and glue on to the bottom. This prevents the dried clay from rubbing off onto your table.
The pens can now be selected and used. The lids stay stuck in the clay and then the pen can be returned to a lid after use. When the pens run out, you can refresh the hedgehog with a new pack of pens of the same type (reusing the old lids).