Make your own invisible ink and watch your invisible creation re-appear again when heated, as if by magic. Be a secret agent for the day and write top secret messages to friends or create an ‘invisible’ treasure map.
Warning: the paper can get very hot so adult supervision is needed.
What you Need to Make Invisible Ink
- Few drops water
- Nib to write with – try a blunt wooden skewer, cotton bud or even the hard tip of a feather
- Toaster and tongs to reveal your message
How to Make Invisible Ink
- Squeeze the lemon juice into a bowl and add a few drops of water.
- Dip your nib into the ‘ink’ and write your secret message on a piece of paper, dipping more ‘ink’ onto the nib as often as you need.
- Leave the paper to dry. Your ‘ink’ should dry clear so that your drawing or message becomes invisible.
- You could choose to add some ‘decoy’ writing with a ballpoint pen on your invisible ink paper.
- When you want to reveal your secret message, hold the paper over the top of a toaster switched on for a few minutes. The paper can get very hot so be sure to use tongs.
- The lemon juice will turn brown and your invisible message will appear as if by magic!
You could also tear round the edges of a sheet of paper and make a secret treasure map. Younger children can also enjoy just painting with the ‘ink’ and watching their artwork disappear and re-appear again, as if by magic.