Here’s a great little gardening project to explore re-use/recycling with kids – making a DIY mini greenhouse from a recycled plastic bottle. You can use it to grow seeds on a window sill. When they get big enough to handle, transplant the seedlings into pots or plant out in the garden.
You will need:
- Clear plastic bottle
How to make the DIY recycled bottle greenhouse:
- Remove the lid from the bottle and discard/use for another craft.
- Make a few holes in the bottom of the bottle with the skewer.
- Cut the top half off the bottle with scissors.
- Add compost to the lower half of the bottle, plant seeds and water (try making our recycled bottle watering can!)
- Fit the top half of the bottle over the bottom.
- Place your mini greenhouse on a dish or tray to catch any drips. Put on a sunny windowsill and keep the seeds well watered.
Why not try making some lollipop stick seed markers to go with your seeds/seedlings?