We’re all used to a wet British summer, but every so often we get a heatwave. There is lots of advice around on how to keep babies and kids cool in the hot weather so we thought we would share our ideas on where to go if you want to get out and about and some fun suggestions for home when the temperatures soar.
Click on any of the links in red below for reviews or instructions.
Places To Go When It’s Hot, Hot, Hot
Don’t forget your suncream, hats and sunglasses when you head out in the summer and try and avoid the middle of the day if you can when the sun is at it’s hottest. Here are a few places you can go to cool off.
Outdoor Pools – there’s nothing like a dip in an outdoor pool to cool you down and make you feel like you’re on holiday.
- Hinksey Outdoor Pool (Oxford)
- Woodstock Outdoor Pool
- Riverside Park & Pools (Wallingford)
- Banbury Open Air Swimming Pool
- Woodgreen Leisure Centre Outdoor Pool (Banbury)
- Northcroft Lido (Newbury)
- Coral Reef (Bracknell) indoor and outdoor pool – opening late summer 2017
Splash Parks – if you’ve got a group of kids or little ones who can’t swim then a splash park can be lots of fun.
- Cuttleslowe Park (Oxford)
- The Leys (Witney)
- Riverside Jubilee Splash Park (Wallingford)
- Wellington Country Park (Riseley)
- Beale Park (paddling pool)
- Garth Park (Bicester)
- California Country Park (Finchamstead/Wokingham)
Head inside to cool off
You could also enjoy one of the many amazing flavours of ice cream at the Milk Shed (Weston On The Green).
Activities at home for when it’s hot, hot, hot
Dinosaur Ice Excavation – you’ll need to make this in advance but it’s a great game for little ones and perfect to take outside.
Water Play – get the paddling pool out and pop it in a shady part of your garden or how about a selection of different bowls, Tupperware and wooden spoons. Fill them up with water and cool down.
Water Sponge Bombs – cheap to make and so much fun!
Ice Painting – a seriously ‘cool’ art activity.
Recipes to help your kids cool off
This quickest and easiest recipe is just to freeze some squash or fruit juice in lolly moulds but we’ve got a few more ideas your kids will love.
- Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
- Frozen Fruity Pops
- Frozen Yoghurt Cups
- Watermelon Shark – perfect for a summer BBQ party!